Thinking Cap Day (Dec. 13, 2019)

Another Late Evening,

Today was a more chill day, didn't go out to the field today, Juan and I took this day to go over some more poster guidelines and expectations on our projects.  Input all out collected data into a few excel sheets.  Downloaded a GIS software to help with our coordinates to get a visual of the areas we went to present with the poster.  Ran into a few hiccups on some noted errors out in the field but became and easy fix once we got to meet on it.  At first I was freaking out so I wasn't focused and thought that we would have to redo some coordinates and waste a day doing something we should have had in order when we could've been working on data.  But all was fine, it all worked out, good thing I take notes and write comments we were able to continue with data input which made a successful day. 

I learned more about bats today from Juan while we got a little distracted but its never a waste of time it turns into learning new things.  I thought it was pretty cool how you can identify bats by there teeth, during him showing me pictures of the different species of bats, many looked alike (especially to me) but their teeth were all different due to what they eat.  Everything I learned about bats today was very interesting but that was one thing that stood out to me. 

I felt I made more connections with more of the students as well as mentors in relation to some difficulties we run into being the part of the diversity within our schools.  It sucks to say that and hear it that we all deal with it but I'm glad that we are all able to advocate for ourselves and see ourselves through challenges that come at us when pursuing our futures.  It is empowering and inspiring to share our experiences and how we get through them and there are many take away's we can get from that to use in a positive way (just hope these things don't continue to happen) but if they do occur there is always a way and a positive one. 

I would like to also share today, that I love that all us students, mentors and others here at the station all take interest in each others projects and sharing what we're learning from it.  It's such an amazing thing to be able to be where we are, be hands on, get dirty, team build, and learn so we can present and share our knowledge in just 2 weeks time.  I am truly proud of our efforts and what this program is doing for us all.  Team Building has been an amazing experience in itself being here.  We can share this not only here but implement this back where we're from and many other places.  I will definitely be recommending this to other motivated individuals, it has been such a blessing and honor to be a part of this entire experience.

(Oh yah I found a little lizard making himself cozy in my bed)

Goodnight :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing unsaid (Dec. 17, 2019)

Culture Day (Dec. 14, 2019)

Free Day (Dec. 15, 2019)