Camera, Ready, Action (Dec. 12, 2019)

Late Night Right,

Today, myself, Juan, Lucia, and Lazaro successfully hiked some more miles and deployed all trail cams today in areas we flagged yesterday when we ran out of cameras.  Now we wait for action to occur and shall check the results of photos and videos the cameras caught Sunday and Monday.  Juan is using our free day to enjoy the hike on his own time to pick up the cameras we deployed yesterday.  As well as be able to enjoy nature, bird watch, animal watch and just be able to be in no rush or agenda to be able to just take in the forest/jungle.  Like I say in every post I am truly inspired and admire his love for all living things and his knowledge he has for everything, I learn something new from him every day as far as the environment goes, our indigenous experts being able to translate our conversation as well as him personally.  Truly honored to be mentored by Juan, he shares his experiences, stories, and knowledge with me and in return I take it all in and share mine with him.

Another successful duty we got right into was going through the expectations of my poster I will be making to present what we are doing for our project.  I am excited to see what I come up with along with Juan.  I appreciate that we both value how important it is to acknowledge our Indigenous experts for their help and how they apply their culture and traditions to help us with our research. I feel that we have a great outline in place to get started on the poster and we have both agreed on a question for our purpose to explain to our audience and I feel it really grabs your attention but you'll have to wait and see ofcourse. 

We also got to experience seeing bats being handled tonight after dinner and it was pretty cool, I couldn't help but look over at Juan to see if he had an impulse to try and assist with the handling but he had stood and watched showing his appreciation of them.  That would be so hard for me to do because i'd be so excited to be involved with something I absolutely love but I know that sometimes when you do so much of what you love, sometimes you just gotta stand back and appreciate it as someone else does it and share that passion and moment with others. 

I wanted to say a little bit about the honor I had today and that was feeling inviting and welcomed by the indigenous experts, as we shared our cultures being the tribes we're from and finding so many similarities of customs, cultures and traditions we have.  Also Lazaro showing much interest in my tattoo as we both were admiring the art and meaning of each others.  Lucia wanting to know more about our craft making as she is a craft making leader, womanhood and plant knowledge.  I also wanted to use a day to experience the way Lucia lives the way of her culture hiking over 5 miles daily with us in her traditional dress, so I will be choosing a day to hike in my ribbon skirt and she has even asked if I would wear one of her dresses to take a picture with her.  One more before I sign off, I wanted to ask if it would be ok to call the Indigenous Elder whose name is Armando, "Chei" I have had an impulse to wanting to call him "Chei" which means grandfather in Navajo because he is always looking out for the group, like he is being aware of our surroundings, he's an elder and others elder's and is a very humble man just like my "Chei" so Juan was going to share that with him and I am hopeful he is ok with that. 

Today was such an amazing day connecting and working as a team :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing unsaid (Dec. 17, 2019)

Culture Day (Dec. 14, 2019)

Bitter Sweet Day (Dec. 16, 2019)